My DPM server name is DPMSRV , x64
My target server which I want to protect is TERMSRV
1. On target server open cmd.exe with administrator permissions
2. Type net use Z: \\DPMSRV\c$
3. Change directory to Z:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Agents\RA\4.0.1908.0\amd64 and execute DPMAgentInstaller_amd64.exe
4. Great! You installed main files of DPM agent on target server. Now we have to say to agent what DPM server we want to use. For this, turn back to your system drive and change directory where installed DPM agent ( for me, cd c:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\ ). Then run SetDpmServer.exe -dpmservername dpmsrv -isNonDomainServer -userName dpmsrv1 for adding firewall exceptions and user account to communicate with your DPM server.
-userName creates an NT user account with the specified username for this server to communicate with DPM server. You don’t have to create one manually!!
6. Open your DPM Management Console and attach DPM agent. During wizard steps use account and password from step 4
7. Now you are ready to create protection group using an attached agent